Thursday, May 24, 2007

 

Please Fence Me In

Now here's a complication I didn't figure on when it came to dog ownership: a disappearing fence.

Our house backs on to the playing field of a neighboring high school. That playing field has been separated from us for years by a chain link fence that encloses the entire field. But not now.

Last Friday, I came home, looked out the back bedroom window and noticed the absence of the chain link in the chain link fence in my neighbor's yard. It turns out that portions of the fence are in bad shape and the school board decided to replace the entire thing.

The trouble is, they neglected to tell us. Luckily, the workers had stopped for the day at my neighbor's yard. Otherwise, if Oreo had been patrolling the back yard and the fence had come down, he might still be on his way to Montreal.

Yesterday we finally received a letter in the mail detailing the fence work. Apparently we'll have a new fence in about two weeks. But in the meantime, we have to let Oreo out on a long leash attached to a handle screwed into the ground.

Seems easy enough. But Oreo is unclear on the concept. When I try to let him out to tie him up to the leash, he resists. I'm not sure if he thinks I want to take him for a walk or he just doesn't like being tied up outdoors. Eventually we do manage to get him out but two weeks of this is not going to be fun.

Comments:
I do not remember how I first heard about Oreo but when I listened to the podcast I almost had a meltdown. What in the world would entice a retired guy to get a Portuguese Water Dog but we already did so now I have to live with it and all it’s faults plus all it’s love. I am sorry if I offended by stealing an idea from you but Chorizo has his own blog and his own e-mail. In case you forgot what it was like two years ago take a glance at Chorizo’s blog to see how he grows up.
http://chorizo.blogspot.com/
 
Oreo says "Hi" to Chorizo and welcomes her to the wonderful world of canine blogging. As Oreo might say: "The more the merrier." Looking at Chorizo's site is kind of like remembering what it's like when your kid was an infant: fascinating but not something you want to repeat!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?