Wednesday, April 18, 2007

 

The Dangers of Multi-tasking

Even at 57, I figured I was still fairly coordinated. You know, as in having the ability to walk and chew gum at the same time. Well, that may still be true but anything requiring even a tad more coordination may be out.

Last night, I volunteered to take Oreo for his post-prandial consitutional. Since the weather was still a bit chilly, I put on my gloves. I was even able to perform this routine feat while holding Oreo by his leash.

The walk was uneventful, until we neared the end. As we approached our house, a neighbor headed out to walk her dog. Oreo strained at his leash in an attempt to join the other dog. I kept pulling him back since we were almost home and I wasn't in the mood for an extended sniff and greet session with another dog.

It was at that point that I foolishly decided to remove my gloves. After all, I was able to put them on while holding Oreo's leash. Surely taking them off would be no more difficult.

Probably not except that I now had a dog at the end of the leash pulling with all his might. But I proceeded anyway. The left glove came off with no problem. But when I tried to remove the right glove with Oreo pulling, the leash fell off and I tripped and fell on the pavement.

As I stumbled onto my hands and knees, my immediate fear was that Oreo would run away. Luckily, I think he was in shock from me falling towards him and he lay down in his position of submission. I yelled at him to stay (which seldom works) and lunged for the leash. Eventually I grabbed it, got up, dusted myself off, checked for blood and headed home.

With spring finally here, my one satisfaction is that I won't have to wear gloves for many months. Hopefully, by the time I have to again, I will remember to stick to one task at a time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?