Wednesday, January 03, 2007

 

Playing With Oreo

You'd think playing with your dog would be an easy, risk-free experience. But when it comes to dogs, nothing is easy or, for that matter, risk-free. Earlier this week, Sarah was playing with Oreo and he licked her face. Just an innocent doggie lick on the cheek. But that little lick turned into a rash which lasted for the rest of the day. Apparently Sarah is allergic to Oreo's saliva. I think she'll be less inclined now to let him slobber all over her.

I discovered a similar reaction tonight when I was playing with the fierce overgrown pup. We were wrestling, boxing and otherwise fighting. Since Oreo had a tennis ball in his mouth the whole time, there was minimal risk of an inadvertent bite. But he did manage to jump on my arm from time to time and lightly scratched it. I didn't think much of it at the time but about ten minutes after our battle, I noticed the scratched area on my arm had gotten quite red and sore. Within the hour it had subsided but I suspect that there was again some kind of allergic reaction at play.

Given this recent history, maybe we'll have to take a new approach to playtime with Oreo. I don't think we'll need head to toe armor but maybe a long sleeved shirt and a pair of gloves are in order.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?