Wednesday, December 13, 2006

 

Oreospeak

It suddenly dawned on me today why Oreo doesn't always do as we want. I suspect it's a simple linguistic misunderstanding. As in, we speak English and Oreo speaks Portguese Water Dog.

So I probably shouldn't get that upset when Oreo puts his front paws on the bed or the sofa and wants to get up. I'm shouting "Down, Oreo. Get down!" I'm not entirely sure but I have a feeling that those words loosely translate into Portuguese Water Dog as "Come on up, Oreo. Come on up!"

Likewise when I take Oreo for the occasional walk and order him to "Heel! Walk next to me Oreo!", I suspect that what he hears in PWD is "Take off! Run fast and pull hard on the leash!"

I'm unaware of an English-PWD - PWD-English dictionary but surely one exists. And once I find a copy, I think Oreo and I are going to get along a whole lot better.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?