Wednesday, July 26, 2006

 

Adios Oreo

Well, it turns out Paula didn't come through although I couldn't really blame her. She lives in a small apartment without air conditioning and she's already taking care of someone else's dog on a semi-permanent basis. So it didn't really make sense to send Oreo to her place.

I was, of course, disappointed by this turn of events. But I kind of expected that this would happen and I had steeled myself for another round of Oreocare. Yet I couldn't let go of the idea of a four-day mini-vacation for me. Four days of having the whole house to myself sure was inviting.

So I asked Cheryl to try the backup plan. Earlier on, she had made a reservation for Oreo at his doggie resort in the country. But when Paula initially offered to take the pup, Cheryl cancelled the reservation. Although we were only days away from the camping trip and the doggie resort fills up quickly, I figured why not get Cheryl to check and see if there was still room. She was not optimistic but it never hurts to ask.

Well, you guessed it; there was room at the inn. Since the weekend was booked up, we had to pay an extra "squeeze-in" fee for those two days but it was well worth it.

Since the campsite Sarah, Cheryl, Susan and Shayla are going to is a seven-hour drive away, they've decided to take two days to get there. So that means departure day is tomorrow. Cheryl and Sarah will drive Oreo to his resort before returning to Ottawa to pick up Susan and Shayla to begin their westward journey.

That means that when I get home from work tomorrow evening, I'll be all alone. It should be the start of what will now be a restful five-day break. I'm looking forward to all the alone time to read, watch movies, eat unhealthy food and sleep. But despite my upcoming life of leisure, I know I'll miss Cheryl and Sarah. The $64 question of course is: Will I miss Oreo? Maybe just a little bit. Or maybe not.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?