Monday, May 08, 2006

 

It's A Dog's Life

It really is a dog's life. After this weekend, I've concluded that Oreo has a more active social life than I do. While I spent most of the time doing chores and watching TV, Oreo went to a party and had two Sunday excursions.

First, the party. Saturday was the birthday party for Oreo's pal Mickey who had just turned one. Yes, it was a doggie birthday party complete with a meat-based cake and loot bags for the guests. I suspect that an obedience school graduation party can't be far behind.

Although I didn't attend, I got my secondhand reports from Cheryl and my niece Shayla. While five dogs played in Mickey's backyard, the owners socialized inside. Everyone enjoyed themselves and there were no fights or injuries. The dogs also got along well.

Sunday's first excursion was a trip to the local dog walk. The only difference from past visits was that I went along for the first time. It was an interesting outing from my perspective as I got to see Oreo play and interact with dozens of different dogs. There was everything there from a Mini Schnauzer to a St. Bernard.

Oreo would run ahead and check out the next dog he met. That involved the mandatory sniffing of body parts and, if the other dog was willing, a bit of wrestling and running. On occasion, the playing would get a bit animated and we'd have to call him and move on.

An hour walk around the area managed to tire Oreo out. But that wasn't the end of his event-filled day. Later that afternoon, Cheryl took the dog on a hike with friends and family to the Gatineau Hills. That involved a two-hour walk and lots more exercise for the pup.

By the time Cheryl and Oreo got home, he was dead tired. Although he doesn't usually lie down for the night until 9 o'clock, this time he was out for the count by 8. As I headed off to bed at 10:30, I looked in the living room and saw Oreo lying on his big doggie pillow with his head flopped over the edge onto the floor. Apparently it's true that a dog can have too much fun.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?